Image of Codorus Furnace, built in 1765 and used in the Revolutionary War efforts.

Codorus Furnace

4045 Furnace Road
Mount Wolf, PA 17347

Codorus Furnace was erected in 1765. It was once owned by James Smith of York, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Cannonballs were cast in the original furnace during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

In 1837, iron was floated downstream to Philadelphia and Baltimore to service early manufacturing. The furnace finally ceased operations in 1850.